[arin-ppml] Unintended Consequence of 2014-17

lar at mwtcorp.net lar at mwtcorp.net
Thu Jun 26 15:44:11 EDT 2014

I must strongly oppose 2014-17

It effectively removes meaningful needs testing for large and very large organizations.
(I know that utilization isn't the only test but it's a major part of need testing.)

According to my admittedly hasty and crude calculations:
If you have in aggregate a /8 of IPv4 and you have 90% of it utilized.

-You could-

request a /16

and before you used a single one of those addresses meet the need requirement for another /16 and still
be over 80% utilization.

Other sizes scale accordingly but the effect is the same greatly favoring the large and very large.

Larry Ash
Network Administrator
Mountain West Telephone
123 W 1st St.