[arin-ppml] [Revised] DRAFT POLICY ARIN-2014-9: RESOLVE CONFLICT BETWEEN RSA AND 8.2 UTILIZATION REQUIREMENTS

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Thu Jun 26 14:52:18 EDT 2014

On 6/2/2014 10:34 AM, Heather Schiller wrote:
> At the PPM in April, there was support for leaving this paragraph in
> the NRPM, but removing the words 'aggregate' and 'return', resulting
> in the text below.   The AC encourages feedback on this proposed change.
>
> Thanks,
> --Heather
>

> Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9
> Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements
>
> Remove the words "aggregate" and "reclaim" from 8.2, so it reads:
>
> "In the event that number resources of the combined organizations are
> no longer justified under ARIN policy at the time ARIN becomes aware
> of the transaction, through a transfer request or otherwise, ARIN will
> work with the resource holder(s) to return or transfer resources as
> needed to restore compliance via the processes outlined in current
> ARIN policy."

This new text removes the threat of reclamation from the policy manual
as the current RSA (section 6) prohibits ARIN from reclaiming addresses
for lack of use, but this rewrite does not make it clear that an
organization can retain their addresses for future use.  This change
makes it clear that resources or parts of resources will not become
orphaned blocks due to a merger or acquisition.  I believe this change
would promote registry accuracy as it should allow organizations to
update all their records to show the new holder and user of the
resources regardless of utilization.

May I suggest the following rewrite to clarify that an organization can
retain their addresses through a transfer.

...ARIN will notify the resource holder(s) that they may return or
transfer resources as needed to restore compliance via the processes
outlined in current ARIN policy or retain their resources for future use
or later transfer/return.

Thanks,
Andrew