[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-14: Removing Needs TestfromSmall IPv4 Transfers

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Mon Jun 23 10:40:38 EDT 2014

The fact that the distribution both with and without needs basis seems to
fall along roughly the same lines in terms of block size distribution seems
to me to say that elimination of needs basis testing has not shown to have
any meaningful effect, in fact.

Owen

Hi Owen,

This also means no evidence of speculation, unless for some reason you think
speculators wish to engage in many small transactions for some reason.
Clearly there were no speculators waiting with bated breath for the
elimination of needs-testing so they could begin buying addresses, and also
there is no evidence of overbuying by recipients who were otherwise limited
by the amount they could justify.

I have seen fears that both of these activities would be the result of
eliminating the needs-test, and we can say from this early data that such
activity has not manifested to a large and obvious extent, at least.

In other words, there are limits to speculation baked-in, including
fragmented supply, public recording of transactions, and looming IPv6.
And the limits to overbuying or hoarding are provided by the co$t of the
addresses and the realization that there is likely to be a vibrant  and more
open future market in IPv4 addresses for any future address needs.

Regards,
Mike