[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-14: Removing Needs Test fromSmall IPv4 Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Jun 22 21:27:08 EDT 2014

On Jun 22, 2014, at 11:15 AM, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:

> Milton's conclusion in the research for his article:
>
> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/06/20/baby-steps-and-big-differences-in-address-transfer-market/
>
> indicates that the significant majority of the transfers as a result of the removal of needs testing in Policy of other RIRs is in the smallest block sizes in the /19-/22 range.  It seems obvious that smaller Organizations with smaller requirements are the ones who have been prevented via the Needs Policies of the RIRs of getting the resources they require.  Thus the large increase in transfers in the /19-/22 range.  I'm guessing that the pent-up need will at some point be alleviated and the allocation rate will then level off.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

In fact, the vast majority of address blocks issued from the free pools are in the /19-/22 range and so the vast majority of needs, requests, etc. also fall into that range. The fact that the distribution both with and without needs basis seems to fall along roughly the same lines in terms of block size distribution seems to me to say that elimination of needs basis testing has not shown to have any meaningful effect, in fact.

> Milton's research is empirical evidence that the Draft Policy ARIN-2014-14 is right on target to alleviate this inequity.

I really don’t see it as such.

Owen