[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Thu Jun 12 12:46:20 EDT 2014

Mike -

As someone actively seeking them out, perhaps you could organize a few of them to
undertake a simpler (but quite worthwhile) activity?  Specifically,  the task of participating
remotely in the next ARIN public policy consultation and showing support for those policy
changes that reflect their perspective?   Tens of thousands is not necessary; even a few
dozen that cared enough to participate could likely significantly change the outcome of the
policy development process.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

Hi John,

Early on in my list participation I considered the option of actively soliciting like-minded participants to post to the list. I probably could post to Reason magazine or some other libertarian venue. But I didn’t feel comfortable doing that.

However, what you are suggesting is something different, and I have recently begun to solicit such support in a gentle way on my website. Believe it or not there is a lot of fear of ARIN and many who are most affected by the needs-test barrier to transfer are looking to make whatever deal works for them. You can understand why they don’t want their visibility raised by posting support for removing needs transfers in a venue so assiduously monitored by ARIN’s CEO!

Also I often have problems with remote participation, I am jabber-ignorant and usually have issues with that.

Regards,
Mike