[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Thu Jun 12 09:38:45 EDT 2014

You seem to think there is somebody, somewhere you can tap on the shoulder and offer a couple of billion and he can transfer hundreds of millions of addresses to you.  Without the needs test, you can be sure every transfer will be booked and visible, unlike those transfers driven underground by the needs test. That visibility, and innate seller fragmentation,  is our protection against this kind of scheme.

How can we be sure of that? What assurance do we have that this is the case? What assurance can you offer that they will be made visible immediately?

Really, there is no such assurance and pretending that there is strikes me as very questionable.

Hi Owen,

By policy, all the RIRs that allow transfers mandate the publishing of that information. So we know every block that was transferred in Whois.
And by decades-long processes, address distribution has been fragmented, with owners of large and small blocks scattered around the globe.
I suggest that it would be impossible to dragoon enough sellers into a silent coalition bent on market manipulation to effect such.

And who wants to pay large amounts of money for an asset and not have the ownership booked in the authoritative database? It is a normal business incentive to do this, but sometimes the needs-test requirement precludes it, and poof! turns good companies into bad actors.

Regards,
Mike