[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfersarin-ppml at arin.net List (arin-ppml at arin.net)<arin-ppml at arin.net>;

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jun 9 14:55:32 EDT 2014

On Jun 9, 2014, at 2:36 PM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:

> What's more, like ARIN's previous CEO and unlike ARIN's current CEO, RIPE never took the position that RIPE policy applies to legacy space.

Mike -

Your statement is factually incorrect in multiple ways; you probably are unaware
that adherence to the needs-based assignment criteria for purpose of transfers
actually originates in RFC 2050 ("INTERNET REGISTRY IP ALLOCATION GUIDELINES"),
dated November 1996 (and before my involvement in the Internet registry system.)
The document authors are staff from RIPE, APNIC, and InterNIC and assert it to be
an accurate representation of the current practice of the IP address registries
at that time.  From <http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2050.txt> -

"   7.  The transfer of IP addresses from one party to another must be
       approved by the regional registries.  The party trying to obtain
       the IP address must meet the same criteria as if they were
       requesting an IP address directly from the IR."

When the ARIN community developed an explicit transfer policy, the more recent
community set policy took precedence.  The needs-based requirements in NRPM 8.3
remain in place because the ARIN community has not seen to remove them; i.e.
they are under the control of this community via the policy development process
and that has little to do with the staff or Board views on this matter.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO