[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Sat Jun 7 03:45:51 EDT 2014

On Jun 6, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> Why is it "fair" to force a willing seller and a willing buyer to submit to an additional step…?

“Fair” is not a word that I’d use in this context.  I would, however, say that the additional regulatory check is “necessary” when a transaction imposes externalities upon third parties.  Because of scarcity, routing-table bloat, and the public interest in availability of addresses for public communication, the externalities of most, if not all, IP address transactions are very broadly distributed.

Good regulation preserves the public interest where that differs from private interests.

                                -Bill