[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-12: Anti-hijack Policy

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Fri Jun 6 17:10:42 EDT 2014

David,
I understand your position, however in every "should" there is an implied "but", as in "you should (but you don't have to)" or "they should (but they don't)". There is not that issue when you use "You must" or "they will"..
As someone else stated - policy has to be binary, it must exactingly lay down procedures and conditions.  While it is true that "should" gives staff more freedom, the reason for policy is not to provide ambivalent instruction.  Good policy closes loopholes instead of creating them.
The same applies with "They must unless" as opposed to "They should (but they don't have to) unless".

I maintain that any policy with "should" (or 'may' in absence of 'may not') is a no-op and a waste of time and serves no function at all.

While "should" may demonstrate the intent of the rule it is completely unenforceable.  Any policy that is unenforceable is actually worse than no policy at all.

IMHO,
Kevin