[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 6 07:31:14 EDT 2014

> On Jun 6, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>
>> On 6/6/2014 7:24 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Removing needs basis from 8.3 transfers doesn’t do that and it has a number of other harmful outcomes as previously discussed.
>>

> Can you name a harmful outcome of removing needs basis from 8.3 transfers that doesn't already exist in the form of contracts that lock sellers to future buyers and/or contracts that allow the use of address space by another entity?

As I have stated, we cannot block all mechanisms which circumvent policy. Yes, you can still produce the negative outcomes by circumventing the intent of policy. Bad actors will, of course do so. If you have strategies for effectively preventing bad actors from doing so, then I am open to discussing those.

If you just want to use the fact that bad actors can circumvent policy by means we cannot control as a justification for eliminating policy, then this has been discussed and I still find that position unconvincing.

Owen