[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Jun 5 10:38:44 EDT 2014

On 6/5/2014 2:32 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Personally, I don't believe that IPv4 runout changes the need for
> policy that attempts to preserve fairness in how addresses are
> (re)distributed. I realize and respect that you disagree with this.
> However, my analysis of the continued need for this policy is not
> based on the context of ARIN still having IPv4. Obviously I can't
> authoritatively comment on anyone else's perspective and neither can you.

IPv4 runout certainly changes the need for policy that attempts to
preserve fairness in how addresses are distributed *from the ARIN free
pool*. Or at least makes any such policy irrelevant unless/until more
free pool is generated for IPv4.

The means by which ARIN ensures "fairness" when allocating from the free
pool are necessarily quite different than any means by which ARIN might
ensure "fairness" when private parties are making agreements to exchange
the right to current or future use of address space for money.

Even if there are such means, expecting the *same* policy and mechanisms
to have an identical effect in both cases is foolhardy, in my opinion.

If you *really* wanted ARIN to be able to use the same policy, we should
give ARIN enough money that it could incent current holders to return
their space to the free pool, then allocate from the newly refilled pool
to exactly the "right" people (those who most fit the established "fair"
need-based policies).

Or of course tell people to get IPv6 addresses and figure IPv4 is going
to get pretty ugly no matter what.

Matthew Kaufman