[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 5 03:46:01 EDT 2014

On Jun 4, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Elvis Velea <elvis at velea.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 05/06/14 03:10, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>>
>> On 6/4/14, 5:13 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> It is, however, equally obvious that a sizable portion of the community, not merely myself, does not want to eliminate the needs test.
>>
>> For the extremely limited version of "the community" which consists of "see existing policy" and "see the handful of people who participate on the PPML". Despite all the fee collection that has been spent on outreach, there's still just not that much representation.
>>
>>> Currently, there is no actual proposal on the table for loosening them or compromising. If there were one, I would address the merits of it as I saw them.
>>
>> That's fair. I'm sure one will show up.
>
> What about ARIN-2014-14?
>
> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2014_14.html

Yes, I have responded to that one with the suggestion of a test at /20 for a limited time as a reasonable compromise.

Once we learn whether that does indeed improve whois accuracy or not, whether ti does provide improvement or not and what harm it does, we are in a better position to evaluate further changes to the needs test. Opening the floodgates all the way to /16 to start with is still a really bad idea, IMHO.

Owen