[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 5 03:32:14 EDT 2014

On Jun 4, 2014, at 5:41 PM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:

>> And secondarily, what size of un-needs tested transfer would be an acceptable balance between the benefits of the needs test and the costs of the needs test?
>
> /24 seems like a perfectly reasonable balancing point to me. I’d be willing to conduct an experiment on a temporary basis at /20 for a limited time (12 months).
>
> Owen
>

> Hi Owen,
>
> I understand your position and belief that the needs test serves to preserve space for those with a legitimate and quasi-immediate need, but in my experience there is plenty of supply in the transfer market currently, and in any case we are talking about relatively small amounts which can be sequestered without the demonstration of need.
>
> Thus I don't think the removal of a needs test for transfers smaller than  a /16 will have any measurable effect on the ability to find space on the transfer market at current price levels.

So you have repeatedly said. We can agree to disagree.

> Thanks for offering your input to my second question. A /20 is an interesting choice because it appears in policy as the minimum size for some allocations and requestors who fail to meet that threshold are some of the corner cases which would be helped by the potential for a needs-free transfer.

I thought it was a reasonable compromise between the status quo and the proposed /16. It’s literally meeting half-way. For some reason, those on the other side mostly want to call that “standing in the way of progress” and/or “refusing to compromise”. Personally, I wish we could take the emotion out of the discussion and argue the merits.

Owen