[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed Jun 4 11:28:53 EDT 2014

On 6/4/2014 7:11 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Or, you could recognize that the intent of the policy and the reason
> for that policy is to make those addresses available to other entities
> with a more immediate need and behave in the spirit of the community.
>
> We can't make the letter of the law force all organizations to be good
> actors. It's just not practical. The best we can do is provide policy
> that expresses the general intent of the community and hope that the
> majority of people and organizations are good actors.

Once addresses are no longer available from ARIN, all organizations in
need of addresses will be spending real money to acquire them. They will
spend that money as directed by their leadership and their shareholders
to ensure their own perceived need is met, not what ARIN thinks they
need this week. In fact, for public companies to do otherwise would be
irresponsible to their shareholders and actionable by said shareholders.

If they are unable to register the addresses, they will still lock them
up in contracts that are none of ARIN's business (and entirely invisible
to ARIN), not "make those addresses available to other entities with a
more immediate need". That's just not going to happen, for the same
reason GM doesn't say "Well, tires are going to be in short supply for
the next couple of quarters. We really should stop ordering them so
other more charitable car makers can get their share."

Matthew Kaufman

ps. I'd also note that "policy that expresses the general intent of the
community" may in fact *be* policy that lets post-runout transfers be
performed without a needs test, as "the community" consists of a lot
more than "Owen".