[arin-ppml] Revised text for Draft Policy 2014-1 (Out of region use)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 11:23:58 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:
> I oppose as written, but support the concept.

I do not yet have a clear leaning for/against this version of text,
but I too have some concerns.  I, too, support the concept.

> There was some idea in the original policy that this additional burden could
> be avoided if the out of region use was only "incidental", yielding this /20 text.

Yeah, I think we got bogged down in the definition of incidental,
and "you know it when you see it" does not fly well as a procedure.

> This proposal seems to go further and suggest that any ARIN space and other
> RIR space must be efficiently utilized by ARIN's definition of efficient
> utilization.
>

> "The report must demonstrate that all resources currently available for use
> within the requested service region are efficiently utilized based on
> applicable ARIN policy."

Depending on the implied ANDs or ORs, that might requirement
may only apply to requests for more the /20's.  Could someone
(staff?) clarify how this would be interpreted?