[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9: Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 20:28:54 EDT 2014

Ok, I think I understand what you're concerned about.  But I think that's a
different issue, which isn't caused by a conflict with the NRPM, but rather
is caused by ARIN's operational practice (correct me if I'm wrong, John) of
requiring 50% utilization of acquired space to complete an 8.2 transfer.
 Maybe it would be useful if ARIN staff could detail what the operational
practice is in the case of an 8.2 transfer request of dramatically
underutilized space?

I agree with you (and the intent of this proposal is) that it'd be best for
ARIN to complete the 8.2 transfer, and then (as this policy states) work
with the resource holder(s) to return or transfer whatever portions of the
transferred space are unused. Obviously the degree to which the acquirer
could do that would be determined by just how fragmented the space is. If
it's so fragmented that it's not worth renumbering out of or 8.3
transferring any of the space, then I think the proper thing to do is to
instruct the acquiring company that any future growth needs to use the
unused fragments, and that they will not qualify to receive any new space
until they've done so.

-Scott