[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9: Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jul 23 13:13:31 EDT 2014

On 7/23/14, 10:27 , ARIN wrote:
> Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9
> Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements
>
> Date: 23 July 2014
>
> AC's assessment of conformance with the Principles of Internet Number
> Resource Policy:
>
> "This proposal enables fair and impartial number resource administration
> by eliminating conflicting language in the NRPM with the RSA. This
> proposal is technically sound. The NRPM should not contain language that
> conflicts with the RSA. This proposal is supported by the community.
> This proposal reflects current practice."
>
> Problem Statement:
>
> 8.2 transfer policy has utilization requirements at the time of the
> review of the transfer request.
>
> The RSA section 6 expressly forbids ARIN from de-registering blocks (in
> whole or in part) due to under-utilization or no-justification during
> transfer requests.
>
> This is a direct conflict.
>
> Policy statement:
>
> Remove the words "aggregate" and "reclaim" from 8.2, so it reads:
>
> "In the event that number resources of the combined organizations are no
> longer justified under ARIN policy at the time ARIN becomes aware of the
> transaction, through a transfer request or otherwise, ARIN will work
> with the resource holder(s) to return or transfer resources as needed to
> restore compliance via the processes outlined in current ARIN policy."

While I support the original version of this policy that completely
removed this clause and the requirement for a resource review as part of
an 8.2 transfer.  I also support this version that removes the words
"aggregate" and "reclaim" from 8.2.  I believe it is absolutely
necessary to resolve the conflict described in the problem statement and
this policy text accomplishes that goal.

While I support eliminating the requirement for a resource review as
part of an 8.2 transfer, I feel that goes beyond what is minimally
necessary to resolve the conflict described in the problem statement.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952