[arin-ppml] 4.4 Micro Allocations and IXP requirements

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Jan 10 16:01:22 EST 2014

On 1/10/14, 13:45 , Martin Hannigan wrote:

> At the end of the day, you're still technically a PNI.  Bill Woodycock
> had it right when he said it's easy to get a third party. I think it's a
> reasonable requirement, without the extra capital requirements.

I think you are miss-paraphrasing Bill.  I think Bill was making the
point once a couple networks peer with each other at an exchange
frequently others follow quickly behind.  But it sometimes takes the
first two too break the ice, before you will get the other networks to
follow.  In some cases it maybe a road block to get the first three
participants to peer to qualify for a IXP block.

I think I agree with you that a third participant is probably a lower
barrier in most cases, than a route server.  But, I think two
participants and a route server shows a clear intent to be an exchange
and is differentiable from a PNI.  The intent wasn't meant as a
requirement for a route server, but an option, not all exchange points
have the same circumstances.  We are looking for what the minimum is to
justify an exchange point.

1. If the community prefers just three participants, I'd ok with that.

2. If the community wants to allow a route server to be one of the three
participants, I'd ok with that too.

3. But, I agree with you that simply two participants by themselves is
insufficiently differentiable from PNI.

And, someone else made the point that this wouldn't extend the free pool
for any amount of time.  That is true, but that's not the intent of
this.  The intent is to ensure that the CI reservations that should be
available will beyond the free pool are actually only use for their
intended purpose.  And that there are not loopholes left open for abuse
of these special reservation.  To date I believe the other requirements
were sufficient to discourage abuse.  However, that may not be true when
all we have are these special reservation.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952