[arin-ppml] 4.4 Micro Allocations and IXP requirements

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Jan 10 14:53:56 EST 2014

On 1/9/14, 18:13 , Bill Woodcock wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2014, at 3:11 PM, Aaron <aaron at wholesaleinternet.net> wrote:
>
>> When I got my IXP allocation I was told that I couldn't host any infrastructure on it -  web sites, monitoring boxes, mail servers and that it was only to be given out to exchange members.  I use other IP space to host the exchange's web, mail and monitoring services.
>>
>> It seems like a pretty poor way to "game the system" and get IP space since it's a /24 and the initial scrutiny is pretty tough.
>
> I agree, there’s not a problem to solve here, since many IXPs get started with two participants, with others following along behind quickly enough.  The two-versus-three question was fully debated at the time of the original policy proposal, as I recall, and nothing about IXPs has changed since then.
>
>                                  -Bill

Bill,

I have no doubt it was discussed. But I'm having difficulty finding the
discussion in the archives.  ARIN-2001-3, took the preexisting IPv4
Micro-allocation policy, slightly modified it and applied it to both
IPv4 and IPv6.  The discussion of ARIN-2001-3 mostly focused on the DNS
side of things, there was little discussion of IXP portion of the policy.

The Micro allocation policy that predated ARIN-2001-3 is at the
following link, the text in question is identical in that policy to the
current text.

https://www.arin.net/policy/archive/obsolete_microallocation.html

But, I'm having trouble locating any record of the discussion of this
text.  Further, any such discussion is well over 10 years old, probably
closer to 15 years.  So,

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952