[arin-ppml] 4.4 Micro Allocations and IXP requirements

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Jan 10 13:58:52 EST 2014

On 1/10/14, 09:23 , Michael Richardson wrote:

> Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
>      > Someone pointed me at 4.4 and noted that it says that an IXP can
>      > receive an allocation if two parties are present. The common
>      > understanding in the industry is that two parties connected are private
>      > peering and three on a common switch "could" be an IXP.
>
>      > Is there a reason not to bump this number up to three in light of
>      > prevailing circumstances and conservation of the infrastructure pool?
>
> If two parties decide to start an IXP, and get a switch, rather than just
> do private peering, it's really hard to get to three if two don't count.
> Still, one party or the other *ought* to have a /28 around, and renumbering
> for two parties isn't that hard.
>
> I propose a compromise: three parties (a route server would count) for IPv4
> micro-allocation,

I think I like this idea.

Looking at the current language it says "other participants (minimum of
two total)", to be honest I find this language a little ambiguous, I
could interpret that as simply two participants, two participants plus
the exchange, or two participants plus the participant making the request.

I think a requirement of three registered ASNs peering, one of which
could be a route server for the exchange, not including any private use
ASNs, its an Internet Exchange not a private exchange.  In my opinion
two participant ASNs plus a route server ASN or there participant ASNs
are sufficiently differentiable from private peering.  However, just
simply two participant ASNs is insufficiently differentiable from
private peering.

> but an IPv6 micro-allocation can acquired for free if any
> of the parties have an existing RSA.

Fees aren't a policy issue, we could recommend to the board that IPv6
micro-allocations to IXPs that already have resources be free.  But it
should not be written into a policy statement.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952