[arin-ppml] 4.4 Micro Allocations and IXP requirements

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Jan 9 19:13:12 EST 2014

On Jan 9, 2014, at 3:11 PM, Aaron <aaron at wholesaleinternet.net> wrote:

> When I got my IXP allocation I was told that I couldn't host any infrastructure on it -  web sites, monitoring boxes, mail servers and that it was only to be given out to exchange members.  I use other IP space to host the exchange's web, mail and monitoring services.
>
> It seems like a pretty poor way to "game the system" and get IP space since it's a /24 and the initial scrutiny is pretty tough.

I agree, there’s not a problem to solve here, since many IXPs get started with two participants, with others following along behind quickly enough.  The two-versus-three question was fully debated at the time of the original policy proposal, as I recall, and nothing about IXPs has changed since then.

                                -Bill