[arin-ppml] 2014-2 8.4 Anti-flip Language

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 20:20:30 EST 2014


Right; a proper *market analysis* will not just say "free market" and stop
- we need to understand what will be sold, from who, where it is, and where
it's going and to whom; whether it will be direct or intermediated,
speculated, in what forms, etc.

This analysis needs to be done by Q4 2012 and we need to be discussing the
results of some field tests now...

Oops.




On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>
> On Feb 24, 2014, at 5:13 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 24, 2014, at 5:20 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Feb 23, 2014, at 6:32 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> >>> ...
> >>> I've been thinking about this maybe the restrictions for anti-flipping
> don't belong in section 8 at all.  Maybe they belong in section 4 as they
> are intended to protect the ARIN IPv4 free pool.
> >>
> >> I disagree. I don't want to see flipping become a tool for speculation
> in the market post-exhaustion, any more than I want to see it become a tool
> for draining the free pool. In fact, I think that the former might be
> significantly more harmful than the latter at this point.
> >
> > Owen -
> >
> >  Could you elaborate your thoughts regarding the harm that might occur?
> >
> >  I believe that folks understand risks associated with sudden/unexpected
> IPv4 free
> >  pool depletion, but you are suggesting that liquidity itself in the
> IPv4 transfer
> >  market is harmful.  As that is neither obvious nor aligned with most
> market theory,
> >  it would be best for you to elaborate your thoughts some on that aspect.
>
> I'm not suggesting that liquidity is harmful, but I am suggesting that
> creating an environment that is friendly to market manipulators and
> speculators would be harmful.
>
> I realize that my opinions are definitely not aligned with most market
> theories, especially the more lessez faire ones, but I am not one of the
> free-market zealots that believes all regulation is harmful and all thins
> should be decided by dollars.
>
> Look at the effect house flipping had on the California real estate
> market. This has been harmful in a number of ways and I see no reason to
> believe that similar behavior, if allowed, in the IP address realm would
> not be even more harmful.
>
> Owen
>
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>



-- 
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20140224/0306bed9/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list