[arin-ppml] 2014-2 8.4 Anti-flip Language

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Feb 24 08:13:33 EST 2014

On Feb 24, 2014, at 5:20 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2014, at 6:32 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>> I've been thinking about this maybe the restrictions for anti-flipping don't belong in section 8 at all.  Maybe they belong in section 4 as they are intended to protect the ARIN IPv4 free pool.
>
> I disagree. I don’t want to see flipping become a tool for speculation in the market post-exhaustion, any more than I want to see it become a tool for draining the free pool. In fact, I think that the former might be significantly more harmful than the latter at this point.

Owen -

  Could you elaborate your thoughts regarding the harm that might occur?

  I believe that folks understand risks associated with sudden/unexpected IPv4 free
  pool depletion, but you are suggesting that liquidity itself in the IPv4 transfer
  market is harmful.  As that is neither obvious nor aligned with most market theory,
  it would be best for you to elaborate your thoughts some on that aspect.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO