[arin-ppml] Proposal 204 Submitted, Registry Accuracy Proposal

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Feb 18 22:13:37 EST 2014

Marty -

Thanks for working on this... it is looking much closer to an policy
proposal.   I'll keep my remarks brief, simply to facilitate its
consideration by the Advisory Council -

On Feb 18, 2014, at 6:38 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a bit confusing since "Principles" can be considered business
> practice, they were designed to be used as a crutch to say no legacy
> holders and deflect any responsibility for it to us. Which is a whole
> new thread upon itself if we would like to debate that.

"Principles" for the registry inherently have an impact on registry services,
but for avoidance of doubt, I do believe that we should include the full set
of principles in the policy proposal so as to allow discussion by the community.

> Here's the revision I think may work and allow you to do something 605 like:
>
> ARARIRIRRIR Services to Legacy Internet Resource Holders
>
> Problem Statement
>
> The importance of maintaining accurate records in the ARIN database is
> recognized as the Registries principal task and is not being debated.
> The Registry is unable to responsibly fulfill this task. Many resource
> holders are not incented through mutual benefits to participate in the
> registry, the process or the community and instead operate
> successfully outside of its bounds further hampering the mission of
> accuracy.
>
> Intent
>
> To create a sustainable RIPE 605 environment in the ARIN region that
> provides mutual benefits to legacy holders and ARIN and in support of
> vastly improved and accurate registry service.

For sake of clarity, it would be good to explain the problem more fully
(and without reference to RIPE 605, as that has quite a bit of material
including multiple registrant LIR relationships, etc.)

Perhaps augmenting what you have to say 'providing fairness, equity,
and mutual benefit to all resource holders, legacy and non-legacy alike'
(or something to the effect)?   It's your call, but in the end it is
the problem statement is that defines the problem being solved, so it
is fairly important to get specific.

Thanks again for your efforts!
/John

John Curran