[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy Internet Resource Holders

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Feb 17 22:18:10 EST 2014

On Feb 17, 2014, at 8:59 PM, Steve Noble <snoble at sonn.com<mailto:snoble at sonn.com>> wrote:

Hi John,

You were the one who eventually did fix the issue and I do appreciate that.

I don't believe that ARIN today will treat anyone differently than they treated me, as the behavior is based on the rules and regulations that ARIN runs under.  The bar is set too high to allow objects to be updated, especially if they have not been updated in a long time.

We obviously need to exercise due caution in making an update of an Internet
number resource records  (particularly the organization field) given the potential
for adverse consequences.   While it is quite obvious to everyone that they are
indeed the rightful address holder, we've had some remarkably creative attempts
by third-parties to "correct their records" and in the process hijack resources.

As I noted in your case, there was a particular system change which impacted you
(and anyone else with an organization record with no current contacts and only
AS numbers associated with it); this has been fixed and would definitely result in
more expeditious processing of your request if done today.

I've been around long enough to know a number of resources/objects be it legacy IP assignments or legacy AS numbers that are in use today but still reflect old data.  I believe it would be foolhardy to even attempt to correct the information as it would only cause excess paperwork, wasted time, management sign-offs, possible loss of the resource or worse.

Until there is a change in ARIN's behavior that allows for the acceptance of historical artifacts, the database will never be correct and there is certainly no reason for people who would like to, to try and update the information contained within it.

While I can't speak to the AS numbers, it is quite possible that some amount of
the IPv4 address blocks will clean up over time due to interest in transfers.  We
are seeing an increasingly number of related updates (even now before free pool
depletion), the brokers are assisting with such, and it is likely to increase with IPv4
runout.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran