[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy InternetResource Holders

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Feb 17 01:39:08 EST 2014

[Sorry for the delayed response -- travel headaches and recovery]

John,

On Feb 13, 2014, at 8:58 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> Oddly, 2050 is silent on that.
> Would you expect that a transfer in 1997 would have been put in the
> registry despite the lack of approval?

Yes.  You might want to re-read the section my message that you conveniently edited out.

> You may not like the need-based transfer policy, and it may not deter 'off
> book' usage of address blocks, but the party listed as the address holder
> still has control of the address block in the registry and hence is accurate.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya

The whole point of contention here is in fact that the party listed does _not_ have control of the address space -- it was transferred. The intent of the registration database is to help troubleshoot network problems including abuse. By not recording a transfer, ARIN is intentionally making it hard if not impossible to track down the actual operator of the address space, thereby failing the basic test of providing a registration database.

> I have been attempting to follow up on your suggestion to poll the
> community, but we seem to have reached an impasse because ARIN is
> keeping the registry accurate and your formulation would suggest
> otherwise.

By refusing to accurately record transfers of address space, ARIN is _NOT_ keeping the registry accurate. ARIN is using the registration database as a weapon to try to enforce policy. This is not the role of a registry.

A far more appropriate course of action would be for ARIN to record the transfer but mark it "outside of policy" or somesuch so members of the community could choose what they wished to do when they encounter such records. Sticking your fingers in your ears and singing "la la la the database is accurate because we won't recognize transfers la la la" is not helping anything.

Regards,
-drc