[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy InternetResourceHolders

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Feb 13 18:11:46 EST 2014

On 2/13/14, 16:24 , Morizot Timothy S wrote:
> Steven L Ryerse wrote:
>> I think that the new RIPE policy is acknowledging this reality and I think ARIN adopting
>> the same identical policy makes sense because it would allow the coming together of
>> Legacy holders and ARIN allocations holders which I think is in everyone's interest.
>>
>> Note that I would expect ARIN to be able to request and receive proof of a
>> completed transaction before they update their database with the new information.
>
> Interesting. So you believe it's in the interest of those of us who have signed RSAs and LRSAs to subsidize (through our annual fees) those who want free registry services even though they refuse to adhere to the number resource policy in our region. That policy, in part, requires that the recipient of a legacy resource transfer, who  by definition cannot be a legacy allocation recipient, sign an RSA and contribute toward the cost of providing those registry services.
>
> That's an interesting perspective, but I'm not sure I agree. ARIN can't really control use and advertisement of resources, but if someone who isn't a pre-ARIN legacy recipient expects to receive registry services, I'm okay with requiring them to sign an RSA and pay for those services.
>
> Scott

This is actually becoming an interesting discussion, and I don't
necessarily want to squelch it.  Also, I thank Marty for bringing this
change of RIPE policy to our community's attention.

However, I want to remind everyone we have nine Draft Policies of our
own on the ARIN policy docket, they were discussed at the NANOG-PPC this
week.  But, the AC can always use more feedback.  So, please remember to
take some time to review and comment on the Draft Policies on the ARIN
policy docket, especially if we did not get your feedback during the
NANOG-PPC this week.

There is only two short months before ARIN 33 in Chicago, and the AC
needs to lock down text for any Recommended Draft Policies 30 days
before the meeting.  So we need your feedback real soon now.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952