[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy InternetResource Holders

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Feb 13 00:09:16 EST 2014

On 2/12/14, 5:43 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> And by the way, continuing to try to associate transfers between
> mutually agreeable parties as theft or illegal activity isn't really
> helping the conversation.

+1. Especially when the transfers involve addresses for which no RSA has
been signed. Either ARIN should stop maintaining a registry of
pre-ARIN-assigned no-RSA-associated addresses altogether, or ensure that
such a registry is relatively accurate.

I understand that ARIN *can* decide to pretend that it somehow prevents
the transfers from happening by refusing to record changes in
"ownership" that are done outside of policy (and certainly has the right
to refuse to record the changes, what with there being no agreement with
the parties and all), but I don't see how that furthers the goal of
maintaining an accurate registry, which I presume is why ARIN includes
legacy addresses in its registry at all.

Matthew Kaufman