[arin-ppml] FYI -- RIPE-605 Services to Legacy InternetResource Holders

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 11 20:24:12 EST 2014

On Feb 11, 2014, at 4:29 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> Owen,
>
> On Feb 11, 2014, at 5:12 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> "The importance of maintaining accurate records in the RIPE database is recognised as the NCC's principal task. "
>>> (well, ok, they spelled recognized wrong :))
>> No, they spelled it the way the British do instead of the Americans.
>
> It was, of course, a joke, as suggested by the ":)" characters.
>
>>> Needs testing, in and of itself, is not the issue.  What is at issue is what ARIN does when a transfer occurs (and they have, do, and will occur) outside of "justified" need.  As a _registry_, I believe ARIN's role (as with IANA and all other RIRs) is to maintain accurate records.
>> You've made your position clear. The majority of the ARIN community does not appear to agree with you.
>
> For some definition of a particular subset of the "ARIN community", it may be true that accuracy of registration information is secondary to imposing policy dictates.  I suspect, however, that for the vast majority of actual users of registration information that it is NOT the case.
>
> This might be an interesting topic for an ARIN survey.
>
> I'm curious: do you personally believe that accuracy of registration data is secondary to imposing policy dictates?

I would argue that the data is accurate. The use of addresses by unregistered entities is a secondary problem.

Do you have suggestions for improving our abilities to prevent such misuse by unregistered entities?

In short, no, I do not believe that the fact that some people will commit bank robbery is a reason to legalize the robbing of banks in the hopes that such people will not attempt to conceal their identities.

>> Can you provide any evidence to support your claim that they "have, do, and will occur outside of justified need"?
>
> Of course not.
>
> Hint: according to current policy, such use of address space would be grounds for ARIN to "revoke" that address space.
>
> I'd be surprised if you actually believe that folks are not fabricating justifications to get around the ARIN "justified need" requirements,

I believe that in any system of laws, rules, regulations, etc. there are going to be those that attempt to circumvent them.

I do not believe that removing the regulations is an effective tactic to reduce the anonymity of those parties.

Owen