[arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 11 08:01:44 EST 2014

On Feb 10, 2014, at 09:19 , Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 08:53:43AM -0800, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>
>> So are you in favor of or opposed to 2014-1
>
> I'm opposed to it, because I just don't buy that it will actually
> solve any problem.  The existing policy neither forbids nor denies out
> of region use.  This proposal tries to codify things, but I don't see
> why that's necessary.

Staff's current implementation of policy certainly makes it more difficult for an organization based in the ARIN region to get resources for their out-of-region portions of their network. Currently you have to be able to justify everything you need with in-region usage. If you can do that, then using the "remainder" out of region seems to be tolerated/permitted/allowed (not really sure which term best fits). But if you need 11 /48s in the ARIN region and 8 /48s in the rest of the world, ARIN is going to give you a /44, not a /40 and suggest that you get your space for the other regions from those RIRs.

I believe 2014-1 attempts to correct that problem while still attempting to satisfy some of the more vocal opponents to out-of-region usage. I would much rather see a clean proposal that allows out-of-region usage by organizations with significant nexus in the ARIN region and a prohibition on double-dipping, but the community does not seem to support doing so at this time.

Owen