[arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 11 07:55:18 EST 2014

On Feb 9, 2014, at 20:37 , William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 11:04 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>> On 2/8/2014 6:19 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>>> If we want to manage addresses this way, we should first endeavor to pass
>>> a globally coordinated policy to the effect that multiregional organizations
>>> should solicit the registry in their headquarters' region for all
>>> registry-direct number resources rather than soliciting the registry that
>>> serves the region where the resources are employed.
>>

>> I have a better idea:
>>
>> For IPv4, realize that really really soon, this isn't going to matter.
>
> Howdy,
>
> Windows had primacy for more than a decade before folks stopped using
> DOS programs. Do you not recall all the workarounds getting DOS games
> to work in Windows 98 and later windows XP? IPv6 doesn't even have
> primacy yet. Reports of IPv4's death are premature.

I thought windows _WAS_ a DOS program... It seems to be very good at denying service in my experience.

Kidding aside, in reality, IPv4 from an ARIN policy perspective is mostly about managing the free pool. Really soon, that's not going to matter as there won't be a free pool to manage. The rest is going to be several years of keeping people from getting too crazy rearranging the deck chairs. While you can argue that IPv6 hasn't yet achieved primacy, I think this transition will go much faster than the DOS->Windows transition. A more apt comparison would be how long was it between when IPv4 gained primacy over IPX vs. IPX virtually disappearing from the corporate environment.

IPv4 has been on increasing degrees of life support and extreme measures for close to 20 years now. Those extreme measures have a non-linear increase in cost coming in the next several years.

I'm happy to report that my mother, who is about as technical as the average 75+ year old accountant is now using IPv6 at home and has reported an improved internet experience. (It's not clear how much of this is from IPv6 vs. how much comes from replacing the buggy modem provided by TWC with the Motorola modem I spec'd for her, but I digress.)

>> I have no problem with someone getting a nice big IPv6 block from one
>> convenient local RIR, and then splitting it up across their multinational
>> organization however they see fit. If they plan well, they *never* come back
>> to *any* RIR for address space.
>
> I predict that last sentence turns out to be a pipe dream. If I'm
> wrong, look me up in 10 years and I'll buy you lunch.

That's certainly what is happening with HE's network. Though we do have
resources from APNIC for use in Asia, this is largely to deal with certain
carrier biases in that region. Throughout Europe and North America, we are
using our ARIN prefixes. (We have 2 only because we outgrew our initial /32).

Owen