[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-5: Remove 7.2 Lame Delegations

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Feb 10 10:51:15 EST 2014

On Feb 3, 2014, at 10:56 AM, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:

> It would be helpful for this discussion if ARIN staff could produce a
> brief statement on the current state of how this section has been
> implemented within ARIN's operational procedures.  I assume some of this
> will come later with the staff assessment, but a limited response might
> be helpful for the community to understand how this change would effect
> ARIN's current operational procedures.

Andrew -

  Short answer: The policy change would sustain current operational practices

  When we switched over to per-zone DNS management, we ran into significant
  issues with lame detection and remediation, including the appropriate
  definition of a 'lame' dns server and potential risk of removing
  misconfigured but working reverse DNS servers in some cases. As a result
  of these issues, we suspended lame testing and Mark Kosters reported on
  them in the "Lame Testing" Report at the ARIN 24 meeting in October 2009

<https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXIV/PDF/wednesday/lame.pdf>

  We are prepared to reinstate lame DNS reverse testing, marking, and
  potentially even removal of "lame" name servers from the whois records
  if the community can provide more specific guidance on lame definition.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO