[arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Feb 8 09:19:59 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Jeffrey Lyon
<jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> wrote:
> I recently had to submit two requests, one to ARIN and one to RIPE
> because of an expansion that involved an Amsterdam POP. It would have
> been really nice to be able to just break off a /22 or /23 for that
> location and not have to deal with RIPE.

Hi Jeffrey,

In the general sense, I'm fine with that approach. However, I'm very
much against ARIN pursuing it unilaterally and I'm very much against
registry shopping.

If we want to manage addresses this way, we should first endeavor to
pass a globally coordinated policy to the effect that multiregional
organizations should solicit the registry in their headquarters'
region for all registry-direct number resources rather than soliciting
the registry that serves the region where the resources are employed.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004