[arin-ppml] What is Open-IX and why does it matter? Was: Re: What the heck is OIX? (was RE: Draft Policy ARIN-2014-21: Modification to CI Pool Size per Section 4.4)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Dec 26 18:16:20 EST 2014

On Dec 26, 2014, at 2:29 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's no reason or need to require 175 odd Open-IX members to join an ARIN mailing list to express support in one fashion or another or vice-versa. It seems like an artificial roadblock for each community. Many trade associations establish process for reliable input in compliance with their standards through MoUs or other agreements e.g. Metro Ethernet Forum and others.

Martin -

    The Open-IX members do not have to participate in the PPML discussion
    unless they wish to -  you should feel free to note any OIX views on address
    policy to the PPML mailing list if you so desire,  and the participants in the
    PPML discussion will choose to weigh that input as they see fit.

    When it comes to the AC determining support for a draft policy, they will
    follow the ARIN Policy Development Process, which requires them to be
    "Guided by the discussion of the Draft Policy on the PPML …”   This means
    the tabulation of messages in support and opposition will reflect solely the
    PPML discussion counts.    Those not on PPML are not considered, because
    they are not actually participating in the discussion; for example, they don’t
    see the reasoning behind opposing viewpoints and perspectives.

    We’ve had this question arise in the past with other trade organizations,
    and have been consistent in its application, whether with regard to address
    policy for individual sectors of ARIN’s region or individual technologies such
    as hosting and wireless.   Please feel free to share any recommendations
    from the OIX community that might be germane to address policy, but it is
    also advisable for those who wish to actually participate in the ARIN policy
    development process to do so on the PPML mailing list.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO