[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-21: Modification to CI Pool Size per Section 4.4

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Fri Dec 26 12:43:22 EST 2014

David,

I'd like to propose the following rewrite of this section as replacement
text for ARIN-2014-21.  I believe this rewrite deals with the clarity
issues that you have noted.  I believe this rewrite does not change
operational practice (other than the /15 replacing the current /16), but
provides some needed clarity in this section from multiple amendments
over the years.

================

*4.4. Micro-allocation*

ARIN will make IPv4 micro-allocations to critical infrastructure
providers of the Internet, including public exchange points, core DNS
service providers (e.g. ICANN-sanctioned root and ccTLD operators) as
well as the RIRs and IANA.

These allocations will be no smaller than a /24. Multiple allocations
may be granted when operational need can be documented.

ARIN will place an equivalent of a /15 of IPv4 address space in a
permanent reserve for micro-allocations and shall use sparse allocations
practices where applicable.

*4.4.1 Internet Exchange Points*

Exchange point allocations MUST be allocated from specific blocks
reserved only for this purpose. All other micro-allocations WILL be
allocated out of other blocks reserved for micro-allocation purposes.
ARIN will make a list of these blocks publicly available.

Exchange point operators must provide justification for the allocation,
including: connection policy, location, other participants (minimum of
three total), ASN, and contact information. This policy does not
preclude exchange point operators from requesting address space under
other policies.

*4.4.2 gTLD Allocations*

ICANN-sanctioned gTLD operators may justify up to the equivalent of an
IPv4 /23 block for each authorized new gTLD, allocated from the free
pool or received via transfer, but not from the blocks reserved in
section 4.4. This limit of a /23 equivalent per gTLD does not apply to
gTLD allocations made under previous policy.

*4.4.3 Other Critical Infrastructure*

Other critical infrastructure, such as ICANN-sanctioned root and ccTLD
operators, as well as the RIRs and IANA, may receive allocations from
ARIN, when operational need can be demonstrated.