[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-17: Change Utilization Requirements from last-allocation to total-aggregate

Brett Frankenberger rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com
Fri Dec 26 10:43:36 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 11:21:33AM -0500, ARIN wrote:
> Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-17
> Change Utilization Requirements from last-allocation to total-aggregate
>
> On 18 December 2014 the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) recommended
> ARIN-2014-17 for adoption, making it a Recommended Draft Policy.
>
> Policy statement:
>
> Replace Section 4.2.4.1
>
> ISPs must have efficiently utilized all allocations, in aggregate, to at
> least 80% and at least 50% of every allocation in order to receive
> additional space. This includes all space reassigned to their customers.
>
> Replace Section 4.3.6.1
>
> End-users must have efficiently utilized all assignments, in aggregate, to
> at least 80% and at least 50% of every assignment in order to receive
> additional space, and must provide ARIN with utilization details.

Support.  This reduces disparate treatment for entities with identical
allocations and utilization, just because one entity got a /16 and the
other got two /17s.  I might have preferred eliminating the disparate
treatment completley, but the addition of the "50% of every
allocation/assignment" requirement is a reasonable balance between
treating entities with the same amount of space identically, and the
concerns raised about entities receiving an allocation/assignment,
still being above 80%, and being eligible to request and receive
another one the next day with the same justification.  I support this
policy as written.

     -- Brett