[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-1: Out of Region Use

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Dec 24 16:11:41 EST 2014

On Dec 24, 2014, at 3:36 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> On Dec 24, 2014, at 2:26 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> 2. I disagree with spinning it as an existing policy flaw. There's a
>>> ARIN -implementation- flaw here. Classically and consistent with the
>>> spirit of ICP2, the RIRs allow minor outregion use of addresses that's
>>> incidental to an in-region operation. And you know what? You haven't
>>> been the slightest bit shy about deciding that external documents like
>>> ICP2 and RFC2050 constrain ARIN activity in other matters like the /10
>>> for large scale NAT. I don't know how ARIN got itself twisted up where
>>> it couldn't find the limits of "minor" and "incidental" but trying to
>>> override that with rigid policy requirements is going to be
>>> problematic.
>>
>> With respect to incidental out-of-region usage, you are incorrect in that
>> we presently do allow such incidental usage, but the resources that are
>> requested must be based upon demand within the region.  This point has been
>> explained several times, including in the ARIN 31 Policy Experience Report
>> <https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_31/PDF/monday/nobile_policy.pdf>
>

> Hi John,
>
> I understand this statement to mean that ARIN currently deems ARIN
> addresses employed on equipment outside the region to be "unused" when
> determining a registrant's qualification. Is that correct? This is
> different than my understanding of the referenced document which, to
> me, implies that use outside the region is considered if the
> organization exists as a legal entity within the region. Staff then
> express frustration at how to verify utilization of those addresses
> used outside the region.

Bill -

   I believe you already asked about how we determine address utilization in
   this regard, and there was a fairly lengthy discussion on 7 October 2013 -
   <http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2013-October/027374.html>

   Short answer remains that ARIN administers address space for use in the
   region, which means that the utilization considered must be based on the
   customer or equipment assignments within the ARIN region.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO