[arin-ppml] RPKI Relying Agreement

Michael Sinatra michael+ppml at burnttofu.net
Thu Dec 4 14:03:00 EST 2014

On 12/04/2014 10:53, John Curran wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2014, at 1:12 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us
> <mailto:bill at herrin.us>> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net
>> <mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:
>> > Actually, the terms regarding indemnification and warrant disclaimer
>> are nearly
>> > identical to that contained in the other RIR's RPKI agreements; are
>> those also
>> > problematic, or is the difficultly that principally that ARIN
>> agreeing to the
>> > terms explicit rather than implicit?
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I've seen a lot of hand waving, but I still have no clue how the
>> publication of RPKI data places ARIN at a different risk than
>> publication of registration data via whois.
>
> Bill -
>
>   Parties are likely to use RPKI services such that (as someone put
>   it recently) - "routing decisions are affected and breakage happens”
>
>   While such impacts could happen with whois,

I know of at least one major ISP that derives its routing filters from
the (non-RPKI) IRR data, including ARIN's IRR.  If your route disappears
from the IRR, you don't get routed.  I don't they they're the only ones
who do this.  It certainly wouldn't surprise me if folks used whois in a
similar manner.

ARIN probably has a third-party indemnification clause for its IRR also, no?