[arin-ppml] Access to list of Number Resources with no valid POCs

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Aug 20 15:20:27 EDT 2014

On 8/20/14, 13:08 , John Curran wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>>   Embedded URLs are not really the problem - the problem is
>> MIME-encoded email and HTML-encoded email that have the embedded
>> URLs.
> Ted -
>
>    Point taken (and I am a huge fan of plain text email :-)...  I will
>    look into any downsides to this approach and report back to the list.

I went back and looked at the latest validation email I got Aug 1 for my
POC, quite timely for this discussion.  As far as I can tell it is not a
HTML email, but plain text email with a plain text URL, quoted below is
the relevant portion depersonalized.

> The following is your current POC Whois registration record. To validate, please take one of the actions listed below. If no action is taken within 60 days, your POC record will be marked invalid in ARIN's Whois.
>
> Your POC information in Whois is:
XXXXX
> 1) If the information above is correct, please confirm by visiting:
>
> https://www.arin.net/public/pocValidation.xhtml?validationCode=XXXXXXXXXXX
>
> Alternatively, you may confirm by replying to this email.
>
> 2) If the information is incorrect:
>
> a) Log into your ARIN Online account (you can create an account by going to www.arin.net and selecting 'new user' on the left)

I'll note that when I first look at it the reply to email option, was
hiding under the URL and didn't fully catch my attention.  Might I
suggest a minor rewrite, enumerating the options for confirming and
adding "log into ARIN Online" as the first option, something more like
the following;

----

1) If the information above is correct, please confirm using one of the
following methods:

a) Log into your ARIN Online account and follow instructions there to
confirm;

b) Or, visit the following URL

https://www.arin.net/public/pocValidation.xhtml?validationCode=XXXXXXXXXXX

c) Or, reply to this email.

----

This would encourage the safest behavior, action that is completely
independent of the prompting email "log into ARIN Online".  However,
still allowing less preferred, but probably more convenient, behavior of
clicking on a link or replying to the email.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952