[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-204 Removing Needs Test from Small IPv4 Transfers (fwd)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Apr 30 17:39:03 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:35 AM, John Springer <springer at inlandnet.com> wrote:
> ARIN-prop-204 Removing Needs Test from Small IPv4 Transfers
>
> Policy statement:
> Change the language in NRPM 8.3 after Conditions on the recipient of the
> transfer: from "The recipient must demonstrate the need for up to a 24-month
> supply of IP address resources under current ARIN policies and sign an RSA."
> to "For transfers larger than a /16 equivalent, the recipient must
> demonstrate the need for up to a 24-month supply of IP address resources
> under current ARIN policies and sign an RSA."

How would we go about assessing whether such changes prove harmful or
helpful? What metrics does ARIN collect under this policy which can be
analyzed and presented here so we can consider expanding it to larger
transfers? Does no justification mean no documentation?

What makes you think /16 is the right place to start testing this
idea? Traditionally /24 was the last no-justification request
accepted. Why is that not the right place to start testing a new
no-justification regime?

For now I OPPOSE the proposal as written but I'd like to hear more.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004