[arin-ppml] Policy discussion - Method of calculating utilization

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Wed Apr 30 10:49:20 EDT 2014

Friends, Colleagues,

A couple of years ago I brought up an issue I had run into where the
utilization requirement for new requests is being calculated on a per
allocation basis rather than in aggregate. For example, if an
organization has 4 x /22 and 3 of them are utilized 100% and the
fourth utilized at 75%, that request would be denied. This is a bit
out of balance as an organization with a single /20 utilized at 80%
would have less efficient utilization but would be eligible to request
additional space.

The last time this was discussed it sounded as if the community would
support a policy proposal to change this calculation to be considered
in aggregate vs. per assignment. Does this remain the case?

Thanks,
--
Jeffrey A. Lyon, CISSP-ISSMP
Fellow, Black Lotus Communications