[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 106, Issue 8 (Sandra Brown)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 7 12:59:32 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2014, at 10:17 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>>> absent any change in
>>> direction, ARIN must hold to the position set at its establishment and its in
>>> foundational documents that all address space in the registry is subject to
>>> community-develop number resource policy.
>>
>> Not sure I buy the assertion that these principles were in the foundational documents; ...

That's because John has misstated the language, discussion and
agreements surrounding ARIN's creation. Replace "address space in the
registry" with "address space subsequently assigned by the registry"
and the above would be accurate.

> For example: <https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=102819> -
> "Creation of ARIN will give the users of IP numbers (mostly Internet
> service providers, corporations and other large institutions) a voice
> in the policies by which they are _managed and allocated_ [emphasis
> added] within the North American region."  ARIN's incorporation is

For example: http://archive.psg.com/970414.fncac.pdf

quoting from page 9:

"Current and old allocations and their DNS will be maintained with no
policy changes"

This was a sample the promises made and repeated publicly during
ARIN's creation, regardless of what was done behind the scenes. This
particular one was made to the federal government board which had to
approve ARIN's creation. What's more, ARIN has honored this promise in
every substantive respect for the better part of two decades, so by
now laches surely applies.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004