[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 106, Issue 8

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 4 23:32:23 EDT 2014

"Niki",

I'm confused by the questions, because the answers seem obvious, don't they?

Did you buy a company that has two /16s?  Just keep company X operating as company X! Find a buyer for one /16, and have the company you bought - company X - do an 8.3 transfer to the buyer.  It's not relevant to the process that your main company bought company X - it just adds unnecessary complexity to the ARIN process.  Then find a second buyer for a second /16 and repeat.

I guess it's possible it's too late - that company X is already closed and all of its assets are legally owned by your main company.  If that happened to me, then I would just find a buyer who wants the first /16. Then I'd submit an 8.3 transfer to sell it to them.  During the 8.3 transfer, ARIN will ask you for documentation that shows you own the company X that has the Whois registrations today.  You show them the legal documentation, then you move on to the 8.3 part of the transfer.  I'm not sure why you're worried about ARIN taking back the second /16 which isn't sold yet. RSA paragraph 6 says they can't do that.

N.B. I am not your lawyer, and I am not providing you with legal advice. I am not providing you advice on behalf of my employer, and I do not speak for my employer.

/david