[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 106, Issue 8

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Fri Apr 4 19:06:35 EDT 2014

On 14-04-04 03:44 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2014, at 11:00 AM, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:
>
>> If an org with no resources applies they should at least be able to get the minimum which has been set by this community which I think is currently at a /22.  Always!
>
> Depends… End-user /24, ISP multi-homed /22, ISP non-multi-homed /20 IIRC.

Personally, I still think the above is limiting, eg the small operator
who is not multi-homed, and only really needs a /22

>> If an org wants larger than a /22 they need to be able to demonstrate in a reasonable way that they are a larger org with a network size that justifies a larger allocation.  The first way is what allocation do they already have?  If they have say a /19  or equivalent maybe they can demonstrate they need say another /19 by furnishing to ARIN maybe their financials and the investment they have actually made to justify another /19 or whatever.  (I'm just using the /19 as an example.)

ah.. reasonable way... that is the rub.. I see hosting companies with
throw away domains occupying the whole /19 using it as justification for
getting another /19 of fresh IP(s) they can rent out.. not to disrupt
the thread.. ARIN has a tough time.. what is a legitimate use to one
person is maybe not to another.. I am never sure if IP(s) used to
generate outbound traffic is a good justification, there are other ways
to share an IP Address for outbound.. I think a priority should be
somehow worded in that 'inbound' destinations take priority over
outbound sources.. eg, you have to advertise a public service that it
accessible.. it should take precedence over say someone that uses their
IP(s) to generate bulk outbound traffic ..

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."