[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 106, Issue 8

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 4 18:15:16 EDT 2014

On Apr 4, 2014, at 7:31 AM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> ARIN is a registry, not a regulator.  The more you guys want to
> build in rules that are anti-competitive and blind to the market
> reality, the more inaccurate Whois gets.

Operating a registry in a manner that is fair to all means that there need to be rules by which the registry is operated.

What you are calling anti-competitive rules are what I perceive as rules which prevent abuse of one class of users by another class of users of the registry.

> Upon v4 exhaustion, we should remove needs basis from
> transfers, remove the RSA text that makes the signer disclaim
> property rights, and motivate registrants to keep Whois accurate
> so that network operators can get good information about their
> traffic.

That is one opinion. I don’t share it, and neither do many other people.

You’ve offered nothing to show that removing those rules would motivate registrants to keep whois accurate.

There’s certainly been plenty of speculation that the current rules offer disincentives for doing so, and I’m even willing to accept that to a limited extent, that may be true. However, that’s not the same as showing that removing the rules would provide any incentive in the opposite direction.

Owen