[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 27 20:11:14 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM, David Huberman
<David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:
> The core issue is "should ARIN provide number resources to
> networks whose customers and users are exclusively outside
> the ARIN service region?"

Hi David,

I made that mistake too and Terri corrected me:

"Law enforcement simply wants [...] to avoid allocation to
organizations/individuals who may intend to utilize IP address space
for nefarious purposes, and that should this occur, accurate pointers
(requested via subpoena) are available from ARIN for law enforcement
to proceed with a criminal investigation."

Put bluntly: they want a whodunit database indexed by IP address, and
they'd prefer the identified criminals and evidence be accessible for
arrest and seizure.

If you want to write a proposal about whether addresses are actually
employed in a technical capacity within the geographic ARIN service
region, you'll choose different words and different concepts.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004