[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 27 22:34:14 EDT 2013

On Sep 27, 2013, at 8:11 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM, David Huberman
> <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> The core issue is "should ARIN provide number resources to
>> networks whose customers and users are exclusively outside
>> the ARIN service region?"
>
> Hi David,
>
> I made that mistake too and Terri corrected me:
> Put bluntly: they want a whodunit database indexed by IP address, and
> they'd prefer the identified criminals and evidence be accessible for
> arrest and seizure.

Bill -

As noted earlier, the proposal that was submitted referenced three reasons
<https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/ARIN_prop_189_orig.html> =

1. The rapid depletion of IPv4 space resulting from the present situation,
2. The challenging environment for law enforcement investigations, including
   the opportunity unscrupulous organizations to manipulate the system and
   acquire large blocks of ARIN IP address space for nefarious purposes,
3. The direct contravention of the Regional Internet Registry system resulting
   from ARIN assigning resources outside the region and implications for the
   current model.

While the current policy text does not meaningfully change the process that
ARIN presently uses for determining if an organization is in the region, the
proposed policy text would (as noted in the staff assessment) add the step of
confirming that a plurality of resources requested were justified by technical
infrastructure and customers located within the region.

In that way, the current draft policy does address the question posed by David
Huberman and David Conrad earlier on this list; the same question expressed in
the first reason in the original policy proposal (i.e. should ARIN continue to
provide number resources to requesters operating outside the region, which may
accelerate the depletion of the regional IPv4 free pool.)

> If you want to write a proposal about whether addresses are actually
> employed in a technical capacity within the geographic ARIN service
> region, you'll choose different words and different concepts.

I believe that that you would choose different words and concepts, but that may
not true for others), and in any case the community needs to consider the merits
of draft policy text as it is currently written.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO