[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Sep 26 07:31:49 EDT 2013

Eric,

On Sep 26, 2013, at 5:13 AM, Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net> wrote:
> jurisdiction was not relevant to resource allocation or utilization.

Why then do we have regional registries?

On the contrary, within all regions, jurisdiction _is_ relevant. Specifically, if you are not legally registered in the respective regions, you cannot obtain resources from the RIR for that region.

Where there is a difference is where the network is being run.

Of the RIRs with space remaining, ARIN is unique: they will allocate to anyone legally registered in the ARIN region regardless of where the network will be operated. While this is ... friendly, it obviously implies the remaining ARIN free pool is going to be drained at a higher rate than it would be otherwise. I'm a bit skeptical ISPs in the ARIN region are so sanguine about running out of IPv4 addresses earlier than they would otherwise because ISPs in Asia & Europe are drawing on ARIN's free pool.

This is, of course, unrelated to what the addresses are used for. To be honest, that part of the policy seems to me to be a bright and shiny object for ratholing. As I understand it (having spoken with the original proposer of the policy), the LEA interest is because bad guys are obtaining blocks from ARIN and using those addresses for nefarious purposes outside of US, thereby complicating the efforts by LEA to make things for the bad guys harder at the source. However, it is easy to get into low value, high noise discussions about how it's easy to get around this sort of policy, how it will/won't help, etc. Since it isn't really relevant to the inter-regional policy aspect, I'm not sure the time spent on the discussion is worth the effort.

> Another source of authority can be found to
> offer that -6 adds a rule to the resource allocation that does not
> originate from the original delegating agency (ARPA/DARPA/NSF).

You mean like pretty much every rule the RIRs have come up with since their creation?

Regards,
-drc