[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Sep 18 20:22:57 EDT 2013

On 9/18/13 13:25 , William Herrin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:
>> The concern I have with "plurality" is that that I may not know
>> with certainty that a new request will meet that definition; I may
>> intend for it to be split 50/40/10 between ARIN/RIPE/LACNIC
>> regions; but then upon deployment, discover that the LACNIC
>> backbone nodes required more space than expected, as did
>> RIPE, and my split ends up being 40/45/15.  Now it's no longer
>> a plurality of space in the ARIN region.  It's easier to plan to
>> hit a target percentage than try to hit a multi-way ratio given
>> the unpredictable and changeable forces that impact real
>> world rollouts.
>

> This.

Sorry Bill, I'm not quite sure how to parse that.

I think you mean "This is the issue you have with plurality", but I'm
just not sure what conclusion to draw from that.

Does that mean you support a simple 20% standard, like Matt is suggesting?

If you and others, concur with Matt on the 20% standard, it would be
helpful to know that for sure.

Or, does that mean you think we should flush the policy all together?

A little bit more would be really helpful.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952