[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Sep 15 14:18:42 EDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2013, at 8:53 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> The intent of the policy proposal is to keep the use of ARIN addresses
>> in-region. I say this with the utmost respect: A 20% rule doesn't do
>> that. It does, however, create a new and potentially onerous
>> documentary burden on every registrant requesting addresses.
>
> With all due respect, if that's the intent, then I oppose the policy.

Hi Owen,

My paragraph above is in error. Terri clarified the intent of the
draft several messages ago.

Paraphrasing: the authors want better public records so they know who
to go to or go after when there is a law enforcement issue. And they'd
like that to be someone within their respective jurisdictions. They
would have us tighten eligibility to those folks with some kind of
substantive legal presence in the region. Something more than "We've
registered a Delaware LLC and park IP addresses on rented equipment in
a rented data center."

Based on her clarification, I'd drop the language which seeks to have
the number resources employed in-region. That muddies the issue and
makes consensus harder than it needs to be. The issue is not where the
IP addresses are used, but whether the registrant can be compelled to
cooperate with local law enforcement and adhere to local law.

>> More, "plurality" makes the 20% rule needlessly complicated. I have to
>> keep 20% in the ARIN region... unless I have 23% in the RIPE region
>> and then I need to keep 24% in the ARIN region unless I have 30% in
>> the APNIC region in which case I need 31% in the ARIN region, but if
>> that drops the RIPE region down to 27% I can reduce the ARIN region
>> holdings to 28%.
>
> I suppose you can make it sound complex like that, but, in reality, it's
> much simpler… You need to make sure that more of your operations
> using ARIN space are in the ARIN region than anywhere else.

The concept of A.I. is pretty simple too: it's a computer than thinks
on a level comparable to man. Now go make it work.

An execution of "plurality" in the context you've used it is every bit
as nasty as what I described above.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004